If you love chili throughout fall and winter like we do, then you will love our garden vegetable chili, our turkey chili, and the recipe we are sharing below too, slow cooker chicken chili. This is the ultimate comfort food for cool nights.
How to make slow cooker chicken chili
Slow cooker chicken chili is so easy to prepare because nearly all of the ingredients go into the slow cooker together and you can leave it alone for 8 hours before finishing it off.
You can find the full ingredients list with quantities below, but I want to go over a few substitutions with you in case you can’t find certain things, or already have ingredients you can use.
- You can use any white beans in this recipe, you don’t have to use Great Northern Beans.
- If you have leftover shredded chicken or a rotisserie chicken you can use that instead, but you will only need to cook your chili for about 4-6 hours.
- Instead of using a can of chopped green chilies, I’ve also made this recipe with fresh serrano chilies.
- I would normally use a white onion for chili, but I happened to have a yellow one on hand so used that instead.
- You can use a tbs of crushed garlic from a jar instead of fresh garlic.
Put all of your ingredients (except for your garnishes and toppings) into the slow cooker. The amount of chicken breasts you use will depend on how many you can put in a single layer on the bottom of the slow cooker. I used four large chicken breasts, but have made this recipe previously using 6 smaller ones.
After cooking on low for 8 hours, you will need to remove the chicken breasts and shred them before returning them to the slow cooker.
Tip: Only remove one chicken breast at a time for shredding. As the chicken breast cools it becomes harded to shred, so shredding just one at a time and leaving the others in the slow cooker will make it so much easier.
Once the shredded chicken has been returned you can add the Crema Mexicana and some of the shredded Monterey Jack cheese and stir to make the chili more creamy. Transfer to individual bowls, or into a large pot for serving.
Serve your white chicken chili with cornbread.
A creamy and milk slow cooker chicken chili for fall.
- 4-6 chicken breasts quantity depends on size
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 15.5 oz can of Great Northern beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup green fire-roasted salsa
- 1 tbs garlic finely chopped
- 4.5 oz can of chopped green chilies
- 1 lime zest and juice
- 1/3 cup Crema Mexicana plus extra for topping
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese for garnish
- Cilantro for garnish
Place all ingredients (aside from the cilantro, Crema Mexicana, and Monterey Jack Cheese into the slow cooker starting with the chicken.
Cook over low heat for 8 hours
Remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker and shred them.
Return the chicken breasts to the slow cooker along with the Crema Mexicana, and 1/2 a cup of Monterey Jack cheese. Stir to combine
Add more cilantro, Crema Mexicana, and Monterey Jack cheese when serving.
Pin post for later: